Bermuda grass in my flower beds is relentless. I hate to admit it but the last few years it was so out of control I was embarrassed for anyone to see my flower beds. This year I was determined to get rid of it or at least get it under control. I prefer not to use the commonly used spray to eradicate Bermuda grass for reasons I won’t go into here but it was the only way I was going to stand a chance.
First, I used garden scissors to cut huge amounts of the offensive grass out of the beds so I could at least see the ground that it was covering. Second, I sprayed the base of the grass as close to the ground as I could get it. The final and very important step was to cover the ground with thick layers of mulch.
Here is were the frugal part comes in. I had a load of wood chips delivered for free from a tree trimming company that was looking for a dump site. I also acquired several bags of pine needles from a friend. (Best part about that was I didn’t even have to rake and bag them myself.) Additionally I picked up all the pine cones I could find and obtained a few pieces of used brick that was going to the dump from a construction site.
The pine needles and pine cones were used in one section of the flower bed. The wood chips were used in another. I partially buried sections of brick amongst the wood chips for a decorative effect and while the Bermuda grass might manage to come up through all that mulch, I dare it to come up through that brick.
I have to admit there is still some grass in my flower beds but for the first time in several years I can enjoy my flower beds instead of feeling disgust at how bad they looked. As an added benefit the mulch also helps hold in moisture which results in a less frequent need to water.
Thanks for reading. Have a frugal day.